Rock Hall Benefit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Logistical Question for Rick

2 posters

Go down

Logistical Question for Rick Empty Logistical Question for Rick

Post  davethebuilder Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:24 am

Rick - I've been wondering. When you have a band of all stars playing together like the guys on Saturday night who will be backing Jack Bruce, what do they do to get as tight as possible? These guys are going to be playing songs from their own different bands, Cream stuff, and finally Who stuff. They may know the music but I wouldn't think that you can just sit down in front of an audience and hope that everyone's on the same page without some rehearsal. Do they communicate with each other before hand and come up with a list of songs that are likely to be played so they can rehearse on their own? Do they get together at some point and practice?

Also, does it take a director to keep them all on the same page while they are playing...someone like a Paul Shaefer (sp?)? I think he knows every song that was ever written by heart!!
davethebuilder
davethebuilder

Back to top Go down

Logistical Question for Rick Empty Re: Logistical Question for Rick

Post  Rick Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Good question -- yes, they share song lists and the artists will arrive here early to rehearse at a secret location we have set up for them. They will probably do several rehearsals together prior to playing the show.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Logistical Question for Rick Empty Logistical Question #2

Post  davethebuilder Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:52 am

Rick - I've been having another "just curious" moment. Since time seems to be of the essence so that you can fit as many acts as possible in to the lineup...how will load in and load out of the bands be handled? It seems like with the "Some of rock's greatest frontmen with an all-star backing band" setup, it will enable a lot of the acts to just plug in and play but there will be some turnover of equipment. Is the stage at Koka Booth big enough to enable the "on deck" performer's stuff to be set up while another plays? How will you minimize down time between sets?
davethebuilder
davethebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:04 am

That's the big challenge. The goal is to allow them to plug and play so that change-out time is minimized but from a practical standpoint certain performers will only play with certain equipment so it's inevitable there will be some downtime. In terms of Koka Booth, it is actually set-up very well for this type of show. But to give you some perspective, we have hired three stage directors (usually there is one) to be able to turn acts out as quickly as possible. The lead stage director served the same role with Led Zepplin and The Who, among others, over the past 40 years and is the best in the business. If we could have added a second side stage things would have been easier but that wasn't possible at Koka Booth.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Logistical Question for Rick Empty After Party

Post  Caniac Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:31 pm

Rick
Any more news on the tickets for after party yet
Thanks

Caniac

http://www.carypainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Yes, I will post a new thread about after party details later today or at the latest, tomorrow.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Logistical Question for Rick Empty secret location

Post  bigfanof Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:36 am

The "secret location" is my backyard!!!! LMAO, I WISH!!!!

bigfanof

Back to top Go down

Post  davethebuilder Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:30 am

Rick - now that he's a free man, I bet you could land Gary Glitter for the show. Weren't you thinking of having a Convicted-sex-offender-one-hit-wonder showcase portion of the show? Rolling Eyes

I guess this just proves that the show can't come soon enough!
davethebuilder
davethebuilder

Back to top Go down

Logistical Question for Rick Empty Great Job Rick!

Post  cinbu Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:28 am

I have been watching this board since the first day tix were on sale, and it has been more fun! I was so wondering about the logistics myself, but sounds like Rick the Magician has everything well in hand! I can't believe I will get to see all this wonderful talent, and bring my 30 yr old daughter to experience with me! Now, if I was better at this clue solving thing......

cinbu

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words -- hey Dave, regarding Gary Glitter, I can't believe anyone in the music word still cares about him.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down