Rock Hall Benefit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What happened to Regency Park?

+4
woody
Caniac
studly61
davethebuilder
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty Re: What happened to Regency Park?

Post  davethebuilder Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:37 am

This is a completely uneducated guess but I think that now that Koka Booth is on the map as a bona fide venue that can land national, name acts there's been more need for reserved seating sections...thus the addition of the pavers in the front half. It's really not a whole lot different than it used to be. In the past, when there was a need for reserved seats, they were set up in the front portion of the grass and the general admission lawn was in the back or if it was an all general admission show, you staked out "square footage" on the lawn anywhere from the stage to the back.

I know what you mean though. I saw Ben Folds a couple of months ago and it was like the Gestapo telling everyone to sit down in the reserved area. It probably depends on the show. If you saw someone like Dave Matthews or if Jack Johnson played there again, I don't think there's any way people would sit.
davethebuilder
davethebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post  bubbadin Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Mainly because of the drainage issue. The gold circle section would turn into a mud pit in a good rain. Thats all

bubbadin

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty That's Cary

Post  K Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:21 pm

They might use the excuse of drainage but that is just a cover to make another buck. Having seen nuerous shows at Koka Booth, eg. Dylan, Ben Harper, Joe Cocker, Jack Johnson, OAR, etc. I can from experience tell you that the venue is getting more and more cooperate. The local community has complained so much about the sound that it is never loud enough, not even on that wonderfully small intimate lawn that they have. Also, to all those people and security that ask people to sit down at a Rock show do us all a favor and wait for the DVD to come out so you can sit on your couch and watch it at home, you lazy SOBs. If one person request for me to sit down at Rock skow again I am going to loss it. I am looking foward to this show regardless of the line up, it is for a great cause and that is what Rock'n F'n Roll is all about.

K

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty Standing at a Rock Show

Post  Old Ghos Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:43 pm

I really find it stupid that people find the need to stand up during the whole of a show. I have been to shows dating back to 1969 and this was okay for the shows that had General Admission, only, but is really stupid when you have assigned seating. Not only that, it is rude when you are asked to sit and blow someone off. I will not buy a reserved seating ticket because of this. I'd rather get a lawn ticket and get there early so I can be up front and stand when the band deserves it. I understand standing up at the beginning and end of a song but the whole show.......... Give me a break!!!!

Old Ghos

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty standing at rock shows

Post  kewnut Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:09 pm

for those of you who have a gripe about security asking people to sit during a rock show, need to
know both sides. Having worked security at different venues in and around NC, security knows that folks are going to stand. You purchased your seat ticket and you have the right to stand. However, security gets involved when folks start standing during the show and are not even supposed to be in that seat, or section, or even better in the aisles. So, before you chat about security trying to make people sit, please think about the circumstances of the event.

kewnut

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty Belgian Block

Post  bubbadin Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:03 am

Its called Belgian Block....

bubbadin

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty Standing at a rock show Is this the symphony?

Post  studly61 Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:45 am

I have 2nd row seats for the concert. If you are behind me ,sorry, I will not be sitting once the music starts.It's called Rock and Roll people, I just can't sit. It's also an insult to the artist to just sit there on your hands. Koka booth has many Symphony shows, this sounds like a blog for them. I was at the Frampton show at memorial auditorium this spring when a lady tried to take a picture and the usher tackled her. Peter stopped the show and told the usher that anybody who wants to dance, stand up, or take a picture can do it, and if she stopped anybody else, he would have her removed. As for the drainage issue, I can assure you it's real. We received free tickets to two shows after we were at one in the reserved area and the drains backed up. Our feet were covered in mud and other delightful things...

Chill out folks, It's only rock and roll and i like it...love it...yes I do

studly61

Back to top Go down

Post  Caniac Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:27 am

Before you stand up for the whole show you should consider the other people. This is not your 30,000 seat venue where you can't see at all. Nothing wrong with standing up now and than.
I know there are times to stand up during some great songs, but remember to sit down if someone asks so we all can enjoy the show.

Last edited by Caniac on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Caniac

http://www.carypainting.com

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty Stand up?

Post  studly61 Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:49 am

Wow, what a buzzkill. I will have 1 row of seats and 2 rows of tables before me, if they are standing I have no choice... I am old enough to know not to stand for standing's sake and respect the people behind me, but sometimes it's also painful to sit for a long time. I can't believe this is a discussion thread... sounds like an argument at Shady Acres retirement village over the last pudding cup WOW. I hope everyone enjoys themselves see you there.

In honor of John there is only one way to respond to some of these posts;

" I HOPE I DIE BEFORE I GET OLD!"

" affraid

studly61

Back to top Go down

Post  davethebuilder Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:37 pm

studly61 wrote:sounds like an argument at Shady Acres retirement village over the last pudding cup

That's quite possibly the funniest thing said on the forum so far...now if we could just come up with some type of lovely parting gifts.
davethebuilder
davethebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post  woody Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:02 pm

About bringing chairs- (to probably not sit in)- can ya'll tell me how tall they can be.? Regular "lawn" chairs, or do they have the be shorter one's ? Thanks!

woody

Back to top Go down

Post  davethebuilder Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Any regular lawn chair or folding camp/tailgate style chair is o.k. unless they've changed their policies.
davethebuilder
davethebuilder

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty Oh, I'll be blocking someone.

Post  K Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:05 pm

This, "oh you need to be considerate of all the people behind you at the show" B.S. is actually what I am talking about. You don't get it. Those people who find it necessary to request of thier fellow rock fan to sit down need to understand that they should be more considerate of those people who paid for the ticket as well. They can stand up even if it means blocking someones view if they want to, all this means is you got to pick your lazy butt up to, sorry. This is what seeing a live show is all about; standing in the rain and mud to see it live, watching a kid who drank too much puke his brains out, peeing in a toilet that doesn't flush, smelling stale beer and the lovely wiff of reefer that occasionally floats though the air, and yes standing for the entire show screaming and dancing to your hearts content. It is every man, women , and chid for themself at a LIVE rock show, get over it. Once again, for those who don't get it please do us all a favor and keep your lazy butt at home, and for those who do get it I'll see there. ROCK ON!!!!!!

K

Back to top Go down

Post  davethebuilder Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:15 pm

K evin from Triangle Music Blog

Your less than eloquent buffoonery is mind numbing (spell check is your friend). We've all stood for an entire show. Sometimes we boogied the entire time with nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile...other times when we had much rather been sitting down. Sometimes it just wasn't appropriate. We've all sat through an entire show not wanting to be "that guy" until somebody finally grew a set and got everybody up...or was told to sit down. We get it!! By the way, all the toilets at Koka Booth flush and the beer is fresh...yet expensive.
davethebuilder
davethebuilder

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty Oh, I'll be blocking someone.

Post  rockfan Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:41 pm

K - WTF? Are you getting off on the buzzkill?

Maybe you can't read - but it has been expressed in this forum that there are people that because of their age, just CAN'T stand for long periods of time. No one ever got pissed at someone at a concert for sitting, for crying out loud! Someone sitting at the concert doesn't spoil YOUR high flying fun now, do they? All folks are saying is have some respect for those around you. Just because someone doesn't get excited about "standing in the rain and mud to see it live, watching a kid who drank too much puke his brains out, peeing in a toilet that doesn't flush, smelling stale beer and the lovely wiff of reefer that occasionally floats though the air, and yes standing for the entire show screaming and dancing to your hearts content" DOESN'T mean they don't deserve to see the show for which they paid to see.

Grow up - just because someone doesn't care to stand doesn't mean that they are lazy - and maybe someone who INSISTS on standing regardless of what those around them need in order to enjoy the show as well - are ignorant and disrespectful in addition to getting off on being an ass just for the hell of it. Again, grow up.

rockfan

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty AMEN!

Post  el pirata Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:15 pm

^_^

el pirata

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty OK...

Post  thumper Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:06 am

K, please arrange to sit in front of me and my group. We love rock and we are very patient people. One thing though, if you're eventually asked to sit down, don't ignore the request and have to be asked twice. Kindness begets kindness, respect begets respect.
Semper Fi
thumper
thumper

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty playing nice

Post  K Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:10 am

Ok
My Bad. Just wanting to stir the sh*t pot up all little bit, and I think I got it to boil just about out of the pot. I promise to play nice. It's just that everybody as played so damn nice on this blog all summer. Looking foward to seeing all at the show. We'll have to catch a buzz together, I'll be the one in the cop inform just come get my attention. Your pal, K.

K

Back to top Go down

Post  woody Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:05 pm

Youcmust be from the North. Wr TRY to be nice around here. That's what it's about. Life's too short for the oher stuff! I love you

woody

Back to top Go down

Post  woody Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:07 pm

Sorry about the horrible spelling- had a kitten on my keyboard!! cat

woody

Back to top Go down

Post  davethebuilder Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 pm

K wrote:It's just that everybody as played so damn nice on this blog all summer.
I don't see anything wrong with that. My job often entails getting irate with grown men who just don't give a crap about anything but their paycheck at the end of the week...I need some nice!!

You must be from the North. Woody, I've always said there are two types of Yankees. Some had to come here because of their jobs and now they want everything to be like it was up there. Others of us came here because of what it had to offer in the first place. We like it the way it is...including all the nice! (although I must admit I was jumping up and down when the 'Canes came to town.)

By the way, when I read your last post, for some reason I pictured Ringo at the end of Helter Skelter...instead of yelling out "I've got blisters on my fingers!" in my head he's yelling out "I've got kittens on keyboard!!"
davethebuilder
davethebuilder

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty i like to listen

Post  jamais vu Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Y'all can stand in front of me. I like to go to live shows to hear more than see anyways. flower

jamais vu

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty Nope NC

Post  K Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Actually, my friend I am from Raleigh NC, no BS. But that is an interesting obervation held about people from the north. And Oh, there's nothing wrong with playing nice, I'm not knocking that quality. I must admit it has been nice playing with you all in this forum to see who might bite, and get a little ruffled. And I know I got to a couple of you a little worked up, admit it rockfan, come on Smile Thumper thanks for the seat invite, I'll try and find you at the show I assume you'll be the one with the big floppy ears. Some might think this is just another line of crap, and who's to know, I'm not even sure. Now before this madness goes any farther I must sign off, got to go work on my MC lines for the show. There's alot of names and groups to brush up on with less than a month to go until showtime. To all of you that have been kind enough to respond please know that a round is on me at the show, what ever you drink. You can find me near the stage, I'll be the person with pigtails and a g-sting on, no top. Sure hope no one steals my outfit idea now that I have put it out there for all you to read.
Much Love
Hugs and Kisses
Your pal from NC
K

K

Back to top Go down

Post  woody Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Meant no harm with the "North" comment- really. Sad

woody

Back to top Go down

What happened to Regency Park? Empty playing nice

Post  rockfan Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:46 pm

So I WAS right - you WERE just getting off on the buzzkill ("trying to stir up the s**tpot ...") I figured as much - too obvious. And yes - you are right, you did get me a little worked up - that tends to happen to me when I deal with ignorant and disrespectful people who get off on being an ass just for the hell of it. Oh, and have fun continuing that endearing trend in the future - especially wearing that outfit you'll be sporting at the concert!

rockfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next