Rock Hall Benefit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Misleading Song

Go down

Misleading Song Empty Misleading Song

Post  Rodg44 Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:52 am

Under Joe Lynn Turner's profile it mentions that he fronted Deep Purple.While that is true,they didn't have any major hits with him and he had nothing to do with Smoke On The Water.It should have stated that while with Rainbow he sang Stone Cold and Street Of Dreams,two of their biggest hits.To someone that isn't too familiar with Deep Purple they might think that he sang Smoke On The Water.Turner is a great singer.He should be given credit for the hits he had.

Rodg44

Back to top Go down

Misleading Song Empty Misleading Song

Post  BlindFai Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:01 pm

True point Rodg - Joe Lynn Turner is a great singer, but he only did one album with Deep Purple. I saw them with Ian Gillan on the Perfect Strangers/reunion tour and it was awesome. Unfortunately, Blackmore and Gillan don't seem to play nicely together.

And now back to waiting for one of the announcements that "could sell out Wembley stadium"

BlindFai

Back to top Go down

Misleading Song Empty JLT and Other Artists

Post  Rick Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:12 pm

We reference "Smoke on the Water" because it's Deep Purple's best known song and JLT will be playing it at the show. But the point BlindFaith makes is fair. JLT is an incrediable talent and he will also be doing his Rainbow repitoire. As for the next announcement, bear with us as we complete the necessary contracts and negotiate with the artists as to when we can announce their participation. In one instance, for example, we can't announce several major performers who have agreed to play the show until after August 1. As they say, patience is a virtue.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Misleading Song Empty Point I was trying to make

Post  Rodg44 Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:18 am

The point I was trying to make was that JLT is a great singer and should be given credit for his great songs.I wasn't putting him down at all.I have all the Rainbow albums that feature Turner plus the Yngwie Malmsteen album that Turner sings on.He's been around along time and can sing what he wants too and it will sound good, but any Deep Purple songs he wasn't apart of he shouldn't sing.That would go for any artist not just JLT(if he was still in Deep Purple that would be different).Of course I know the difference and plenty of other people do too,but there will be people at the concert that won't know any different and that's a shame.

Rodg44

Back to top Go down

Misleading Song Empty JLT & other artists

Post  keenman Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:10 am

Who sang "Hush" with Deep Purple?

keenman

Back to top Go down

Misleading Song Empty Re: Misleading Song

Post  Rick Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:43 am

I believe it was one of Purple's earliest lead vocalists, Rod Evans, who was with the group a short time in the late '60s but long enough to record "Hush" -- which was orignally written by Joe South for country artist Bill Joe Royal.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Misleading Song Empty Re: Misleading Song

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down